Come Play with the Animals of Mabell's Zoo
Mabell's Zoo is a beautiful experience for children and promotes creativity while counting to 10. Each view features an animal with original art, rich colors and textures, musical sounds, and a large play area.
- Created for children 5 years old and younger. Mabell's Zoo is easy to use and includes musical sounds, animals, vivid colors, and a large play area.
- Use all your fingers. An app designed for the device and includes multi-touch activities.
- Intuitive enough for young children to play alone or enjoy with family and friends.
- Fresh, beautiful artwork handcrafted from crumpled painted coffee filters.
- Inspired by childhood activities: blowing bubbles, tidily winks, and swinging mobiles. Each view has unique characteristics and employs physics for continuous discovery.
- Number association. Toddlers can learn numbers and animal names; "9 penguins slip and slide on ice".
- Variety of musical sounds and instruments (and we worked hard to create an environment that always sounds good).
- Older children (and adults) will enjoy figuring out the physics of each view: Can you bat a bird from the elephant trunk? How many monkeys will hook together? Will the balls stack on a seal's nose? What tune can you play with the fish?
Activities featuring the Mabell's Zoo animals.
Happy Holidays! The Mabell's Zoo Penguins have gone caroling.
Ma + Bell
Mabell's Zoo was created for and with my daughter, age 4. I was inspired by the numerous books we have read together. I am not a traditional author. I am an interactive media artist. Our book would need to include movement, music, and user interactions. It was also important that we could play together. Devices with multi-touch technology became our canvas, and with digital being the final delivery, I wanted the imagery to be so rich one would want to touch.
My daughter was involved in all the creative aspects. She and I spent several afternoons crumpling and painting coffee filters. These creations became the beautiful textures used throughout Mabell's Zoo. She influenced color schemes and had opinions about which animals to include, how they looked, and their movement. She also insisted on how the title is pronounced, with a long A sound. Each view reminds me of childhood activities from blowing bubbles to tiddlywinks. We built a tent out of blankets which became our recording studio (or giggle house). Along with the story and numbers, I included extra fun sounds from those sessions.
I have watched my daughter play and interact with the zoo. Each time, she explores a different view in depth and then gives me her own narrative. I provided an overall structure with the animals and sounds; yet, there is plenty of room for her own interpretation and story.
Creating Mabell's Zoo with my daughter has been a wonderful experience. We are excited to share it with others and hope you will be inspired and add to your own memories.
— Brenda Long, designer, developer, and mother
"With vivid colors and easy to activate animations, Mabell’s Zoo not only provides a stimulating visual environment, but encourages counting 1-10." theiPhoneMom, 5 stars. Read the full review
"Beautiful, engaging app. The artwork is gorgeous, totally interactive and fun to explore each area in the zoo. My 5 year old nephew really enjoyed being able to interact with the animals. Great app for teaching kids how to count and develop hand-eye coordination, probably as young as 6 months.", App Store User
"Great app for kids. This app has it all: multitouch, sounds and music, counting ... Everything you want your preschooler to have. Nicely done!", App Store User
"Beautiful and very creative art", Google Play User